Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What I've Been Working on... for the Last Year!

I am (finally) back (for real this time), honest!  Baby is a little more independent, move is over and the important unpacking done.  (The rest of the unpacking/organizing/decluttering will continue for years...)  My studio is set up and I'm ready to start the new year.  I hope to blog here at least a couple of times a week - lots of new tutorials planned, new Artfire creations to share, and plenty of photos from works in progress!

I've accomplished a lot over the past year, even though little of it has had to do with polymer clay.  My baby was only 3 weeks old this time last year.  I hate how fast they grow!  But he's so funny and adorable that I can't really hold it against him.

Here are some of the projects I did manage to do over the last year:

I found the pattern on Ravelry. Click HERE
I started this afghan a year ago in November, while I was still pregnant with William.  Yeah, it's not done yet.  I've got it about 2/3 done.  I keep running out of yarn and then not being able to find the color again (stupid Walmart!) because I didn't plan ahead and buy all of the yarn I needed at once.  I mostly only crochet while I'm watching TV with Rock and I can only handle an hour or so at a time before my wrist starts to cramp up on me.  Anyway, hopefully by this time next year it will be finished.

Right after we moved I got a custom order for a second Fairy Fire Tree.  I had to hustle to get my studio set up and the tree done before my deadline.  The customer gave it to his girlfriend for her birthday.  He said she really loved it.  This isn't that one - I've got a photo of the second one somewhere but I can't seem to find it in all of my files.
At about the same time that I was working on the Fairy Tree, the Polymer Clay Central contest was underway with a fall theme.  I tried to get this done in time, but, unlike the tree, missed the deadline.  I thought it turned out really pretty for my first box.


And last, but not least, this is the Christmas present I made for my in-laws.  (Sorry for the lousy photo.)  I took a canvas and sponge-painted squares on it in crossword-puzzle form and then painted the names of the grandkids on the squares with the word "grandchildren" outlined in black.  MIL loves crosswords and she really liked my "painting."

Actually, there was one other project that I did this year - William's stocking.  When there were only four of us I decided to make coordinating stockings but I knew our family was going to grow so I wanted to make something that I could repeat.  They are all made of black felt with brightly dressed snowpeople on them.  I don't usually make the new stocking for baby's first Christmas because, honestly, there isn't much you can put in a young baby's stocking (especially a 3-week-old), so Will got his this year.  I'm not sure how I managed to make his shirt so crooked but I don't think he'll ever care.





So, there you go!  Hopefully next week I'll have some new clay stuff to share.  Until then...

Enjoy!
Korrina

2 comments:

  1. I know this post is a little old, but I just found your blog. I love that afghan! Where did you get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My kids love wrapping up in it. There's a picture of it finished on my other blog here: http://crazyrobinsonlife.blogspot.com/2014/02/molly-weasleys-bell-sleeved-sweater-yes.html and you can find the pattern for the granny squares here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-10-petal-afghan-square

    ReplyDelete